Thursday, May 19, 2011

Grade 6 Reflection

This year in 6th grade I've had so much fun getting to go all around middle school and learning different things. Its nice to finally get out of the school you've been in for 4 years and change to something new. I feel so much more free from how I did last year. Last year we had to get lunch from trays, stay in one classroom, have one teacher, etc. This year we have like 7 different teachers and classrooms, we get to buy our lunch from the different shops, etc. It was really confusing at first but after that first week I had gotten the hang of it and finally realized this was the school I was going to be in for at least another 6 years ( unless we move ) . These are some of my thoughts on how 6th grade has gone for me and how i'm ready to move on to 7th grade.




1. What piece of work and learning are you most proud? Explain

This year I think that I did a really good job on my Egyptian unit. This was probably one of our biggest units this year and we had a huge test at the end of it. In this unit we had to make a Imovie about a very important person in Egypt with a partner, and we also had to create 3 diary entries to create a diary. When we were creating the diary we each got a character that fell under one of Egypt's social classes. I got a Musician, which fell under Artisans. This meant that I would have to write my whole 3 diary entries in the point of view of an Ancient Musician. This of course meant that we had to do a lot of research on our character. I had to find out what a ancient Musician did, how they lived, what they would do when they were not at work, etc. For each diary entry we had a theme like one was the Nile River the other one was Amulet, etc.



2. What were your greatest challenges? Explain.

This year I think that my biggest challenge was definitely getting my homework in on time. It wasn't really a challenge its just something I kind of left till last minute and it became a challenge. I tend to leave things last minute because, well, I want free time. But this is always a huge mistake because in the end I end up turning all my homework in late and getting bad grade on my tests. I think that I don't have a lot of homework but I leave it till last minute and then it is a lot of homework. Then I rush through it to try and get it done so that I will have it done by tomorrow. But that never helps because I then end up with half of the questions wrong.





3. Reflecting on your growth this year, what did you learn about yourself as a learner?

I think that something I learned about myself this year was since we are doing a lot more group projects that I can get annoyed if people aren't doing what I want them to do. I would normally not show it but sometimes you can see on my face that I'm not happy with what I am doing or what we are doing. I also learned that I can get a bit bossy sometimes and will make other people do what I want them to do. Mainly because I want to get my work done and express my ideas. What I need to remember is that its other peoples projects as well and they want their ideas going into it too. I think that I kind of take over the whole project when I want to. I'll be like " Okay I have a great Idea! We could do..... I think that we should!" Sometimes I kind of feel like the project is all about me. I definitely for next year have to stop being bossy!



4. To evaluate your work habits, choose 1 of the following from each category ( and provide explanations):

a) Behavior

Could be improved
Satisfactory
Perfect - the model student

Explanation: I think in class I behave well and will listen. Sometimes I can go out of my focus mode and act silly, so I think that best way to put that would be Satisfactory.

b) Participation

None
Satisfactory
Actively participate in class

Explanation: In class I always try to share my ideas and I'm not shy to say what I want. I think that I am engaged when the teacher is talking and I am Actively Participating in class.

c) Organization

Needs serious help
Satisfactory
I'm super organized

Explanation: I always have my stuff whenever there is a class. I do not tend to forget my stuff and whenever the teacher asks for things that we have to use I always make sure I have them.

d) Effort

Needs serious help
Satisfactory
I always go above and beyond what is required
.

Explanation: Whenever I do projects and worksheets and things like that I always try to put in as much effort as I can. I don't put that much in but I wouldn't say I need serious help.

5. Based upon your reflections, write two personal learning goals for Grade 7 next year.

Goal 1 - In Grade 7, I plan to stay more focused in class and not goof around with the other students. I want to know what I have to do and do it well. This year whenever the teacher is talking sometimes I will be laughing with my friends and when he/she is finished I will have no idea what to do. So in 7th grade I plan to focus more and be more engaged with the teacher and my work.


Goal 2 - In Grade 7, I plan to get all my homework and projects finished before they are due. This year I left some of my projects till last minute and have gotten bad grades on them. Next year I plan to get all my work done before its due so that I can get a better grade and have more free time.

6.Is there any more information about yourself that you would like the teachers to know?

There is nothing that I really need the teachers to know, but I do like doing projects that I can like create things, like posters and stuff like that. I also like using electronic devices such as the laptops. I think that it is an easier way to get my work done and it also for me is a lot of fun. I love doing projects because I get to learn so many new things and work with so many different people.


7. What was your favorite activity lesson in Humanities this year? What did you enjoy about it?

This would probably be the Tic - Tac - Toe. I loved doing the this project because we got to work with out best friends and it was a lot of fun. You had to work and best of all it was with our friends. I thought that it was a great opportunity to test our work habits to the max. Maybe because when you join up with friends you usually goof off and stuff. But when you doing a project its time to work and not be silly. I think that its really great because you get to put fun into you learning and it really shows when you present your project.



8. What activity do you wish we could have spent more time on?

I wish that we could have spent more time on maybe on our Tic-Tac-Toe. Maybe because I thought that it was the best project that we ever did. I really enjoyed getting to work with my friends and getting a pretty good grade on it. I had a really good time and wish that there was more to it than just 3 projects. I had such a good time and it was one of my most favorite projects.



9. Finally, cast your minds back to the first few months of middle school (when you arrived in Grade 6 ) what "Words of Wisdom" or "Advice" could you pass on to the Class of 2018?

Maybe that you should always keep a positive attitude when your doing your work and Socially. This will help you enjoy your work and well hopefully keep you out of fights with friends. Also just go with it. When a teacher tells you there's going to be a test don't stress just relax and got with it. Thats what I did and i'm having such a good year in Middle School so far!










No comments:

Post a Comment